Recreation’s Economic Contributions (REC) Act (S. 2219/ H.R. 4665)
The REC Act ensures that the outdoor recreation economy, including outdoor industry jobs and our economic impact, are measured by the federal government and accounted for as part of the national Gross Domestic Product. This breakthrough legislation has now been introduced in both the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate and, if passed, may result in positive policy trends for outdoor businesses and enthusiasts. The REC Act legislation requires the U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. Department of Labor, in consultation with federal land management agencies, to provide economic metrics and other statistics on our industry’s contributions to the U.S. economy.
• Bipartisan and bicameral legislation introduced by Representatives Don Beyer (D, VA), Dave Reichert (R, WA), Peter Welch (D, VT) and Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R, WA) and Senators Jeanne Shaheen (D, NH) and Cory Gardner (R, CO).
• The legislation directs the Department of Commerce to work with the Department of Labor and the land and water management agencies to quantify the outdoor recreation economy.
• While OIA’s economic report—which quantified our $646 billion industry that employs 6.1 million Americans and contributes $80 billion to local, state and federal tax revenue—will remain relevant, federal statistics in this area are important to providing annual, objective government data.
• This study will provide more information for policy makers to make more informed recreation policy and business decisions at the local, state and federal levels, and brings our industry one step closer to being recognized as a powerful contributor to the U.S. economy.
• This legislation is supported by dozens of organizations and businesses, including sportsmen, conservation and parks groups, the motorized community and recreation advocacy groups.
America Outdoors Association
American Endurance Ride Conference (AERC)
American Fly Fishing Trade Association (AFFTA)
American Hiking Society (AHS)
American Recreation Coalition (ARC)
American Sportfishing Association
Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
Back Country Horsemen of America (BCHA)
Backcountry Ski and Snowshoe Club
Certified Guides Cooperative
Grand Canyon River Outfitters Association
Ibex outdoor Clothing
Idaho Outfitters & Guides Association
Moab Adventure Center
Motorcycle Industry Council
National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA)
National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA)
National Park Hospitality Association (NPHA)
National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA)
National Wildlife Federation
New Normal Consulting, LLC
Northwest Motorcycle Association
Nuf Said Advertising
Outdoor Afro Outdoor Alliance (OA)
Pacific Market International
Pack Rat Outdoor Center
Recreation Vehicle Industry Association
Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
Recreation Vehicle Dealers Association
Sanitas Sales Group
SnowSports Industries America
Tahoe Mountain Sports
The North Face
Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (TRCP)
Washington Off Highway Vehicle Alliance
Western River Expeditions
Western Spirit Cycling
Winter Wildlands Alliance